Marquee

Marquee

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Music as a Relief

Now that classes have slowed down and my life has returned to some sense of normalcy I am able to write again.

Although I have no new artwork or writings for you to gaze up, I have an idea.

I read a study about how music can cause severe reactions in the body. These reactions can be more intense than those caused by sexual interactions, drugs, and thrill seeking. I know that I get hyped up when my favorite song comes on, but I never thought of the intense reaction.

Another thought came to me as I tried to describe why I had not noticed this. When was the last time we sat down and just listened? When was the last time you stopped everything and appreciated a song or composure or what it is worth? So often we don't value the things in our life, the little things that go in one ear and out the other.

The most requested song was Samuel Barber's 'Adagio For Strings'. I went and listened to this song and the chills, the absolute chills that went down my spine were breath taking. Every instrument came together in a way that made me pause from my life and just listen. After hearing this song I seemed to understand and know so much more than I had before. I felt relaxed, ready for another round of the day.

The point is- take a moment and appreciate the things around you. Look at a piece of artwork and think what it meant to paint it, to design it, and to perfect it. Listen to a song and imagine the individual notes, the hours it took in a studio, and the voice talent it takes to create it.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment